Re: Finishing up NSLocale

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Finishing up NSLocale
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:46:02 +0000

On 11 Dec 2010, at 18:24, Stef Bidi wrote:

> So, I'll have some extra time these next few weeks thanks to christmas
> vacation and wanted to finish up the NSLocale stuff.  There are two methods
> which I won't be able to do without consulting with some of you first, the
> two canonical*IdentifierFromString:.  I also don't have a Mac, so I can't
> exactly check if what I'm doing is correct, so I'd appreciate it if some of
> you guys could test that, or write some test cases.

Are you going to be able to look at NSCalendar?  Currently, the only examples
from my new book that don't work with GNUstep are the ones that use NSCalendar
and NSLocale (the two are quite closely related).

I'm happy to test things for you.

> There's also a possibility to get some very limited functionality using
> setlocale() and localeconv().  I was wondering if you all think that would be
> something worth looking into?  Again, not everything would be there, but at
> least some core functionality can be used.

It might be useful for small devices that only care about one locale, but it's
not thread-safe, so it would only really work if you only support one locale.
There's also the xlocale stuff, which is from Darwin but might be appearing in
other places soon (libc++ uses it for the <locale> stuff, so people are trying
to add it to other libc implementations).

I don't think it's worth spending much effort on supporting platforms where
people don't want the libicu dependency - just give them a stub, and if someone
actually cares about this configuration then they're welcome to submit
patches...

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103