Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:18:13 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> Great idea ... but not what the gcc documentation says ... how would we
> enforce it on our users?
> The gcc documentation says the source characterset is (by default) whatever
> the current locale says it is (or UTF-8 if the compiler can't determine it
> from the locale) ... unless overridden by the -finput-charset=  command line
> option.  The check sees if the compiler is performing according to those
> rules (in which case no command line options are needed), or if the compiler
> supports the options to specify the charactersets (in which case we use those
> options).  If you don't want the check (either you don't have any non-ascii
> literals, or you are sure your compiler will be generating UTF-8 output) you
> can disable it.

I guess I must be a bit dumb as I don't get the point you are trying to achieve
with your configure check.
It looks like you want to allow people to work in a, say, Latin-2 environment,
but compile their documents as if they were using the UTF-8 encoding? That
sounds outright wrong to me. If they -- deliberately -- work in a Latin-2
environment they should save their documents with Latin-2 encoding and the
source should be interpreted with that encoding by default (and not be
magically turned in UTF-8, which is likely to fail!). This is, at least
according, to my understanding of gcc's man page, the default behavior.
And, as I mentioned earlier, the gcc 4.x documentation clearly states that
UTF-8 is the default for -fexec-charset, so there is no point in adding this
option.

Wolfgang

PS On my Ubuntu 10.04 system the test reports a irritating (but in this case
harmless) warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.ISO-8859-1):
No such file or directory.