Re: Unresolved Issues with libxml2

From: Thomas Gamper
Subject: Re: Unresolved Issues with libxml2
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:59:47 +0100

Hi!

Am 29.02.2012 23:28, schrieb Doug Simons:
Hello,

Since we've submitted the new implementation of the NSXML... classes based on
libxml2 and people are beginning to use them, I thought I would mention some
remaining unresolved issues in the hope that other people might have more
experience with the libxml2 libraries and have some ideas about how to solve
them. These are currently the top issues on my list:

1. Parsing an XML document generates text nodes in the tree for whitespace
between elements even when the XML_PARSE_NOBLANKS option is given.  Cocoa
doesn't do this.

The specification explicitely states that ALL character data is to be passed on to the application, see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-white-space . Most of the small XML parser libraries out there like TinyXml, PugXML, PugiXML, RapidXML and so on are completely broken in this respect. There is no meaningful way to differentiate between whitespace that is to be ignored and whitespace which is not, see http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2009-December/msg00020.html

Cheers,
TOM