Re: "Modern" server socket programming?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: "Modern" server socket programming?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 10:17:16 +0000

On 9 Jan 2013, at 00:56, Marcus Müller wrote:

>  I really had no idea what David was referring to, yet it's really obvious in
> hindsight.

Sorry for the unclear explanation, but fortunately Ivan's reexplanation covered
what I was trying to say.  I usually use NSFileHandle for any stream-oriented
socket programming.  In EtoileFoundation I've added a category that creates a
connected socket in an NSFileHandle from specifying just a server name and a
port name (this works with IPv6, and with SRV records on platforms where the
resolver handles them, such as OS X).  NSFileHandle is very lightweight and
integrates nicely with the run loop, but the down side of it being lightweight
is that it doesn't give you some of the more helpful abstractions.

David

P.S. I keep pondering adding a kqueue back end for the GSRunLoop stuff, which
would be a lot more scalable, but I've never heard of anyone adding enough file
descriptors to a run loop for this to matter.

-- Sent from my Cray X1