Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:41:42 +0000

On 27 Mar 2013, at 09:28, Luboš Doležel <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Have a central TODO list of missing NS classes and methods. I couldn't find
> any.

That would be great.  It would be very easy for me to write a tool that
automatically parses Apple's Foundation.h and AppKit.h and gives a dump of the
declared methods, and then compares this to GNUstep's, but unfortunately we
have a lot of methods that are implemented but just return 0 or similar.

This might be a good Google Code-In task, if we can participate in that...

> - Integrate gnustep-opal.

Definitely important.  I think Gregory was working on it, but I don't know how
far he got.

Finishing the CoreText implementation is also important, I think.

> - Implement CoreAnimation.

There is a partial implementation, but it depends on Opal.

> - Implement AppleEvents + their NS wrapper classes.

I'm not sure these are important.  GNUstep has better scripting support via
other means.

> - Maybe implement AudioToolbox, CoreAudio...
> (http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/libs/audiotoolbox/)

I looked at CoreAudio a while ago, and it's both huge and tied quite closely
into the kernel's audio subsystem.  I'd be much more interested in an
implementation of AVFoundation on top of libavcodec / libavformat.

David