GNUstep lock issues

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: GNUstep lock issues
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:20:38 +0100

Hi,

I experience lately problems with "someone broke our lock" issues and other Lock related exceptions. I have experienced this on NetBSD, OpenBSD and Linux, clang or gcc, it is not OS nor compiler dependant. It happens on plain uniprocessor computers.

I know that Gregory had some issues too. Greg, maybe you can add information?

Usually the nuiseance happens when launching a GS application when one is already running (e.g. one runs Terminal or GWorkspace and launches application X).
I think that latley it is happening really a lot.
The most common thing is that you canot start an application and get a popup. Retrying a couple of time helps. Sometimes, like what happened just to me, you leave things running and get back to the computer and found one app died leaving that in the console.

Maybe writing defaults is related, but it could be something related.

It surely makes using more apps and thus having a Desktop quite have a bad thing now. I think we need to dig it out before release. The issue is... I have no way to reliably reproduce that.

Riccardo