Re: GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is gone, what replaces it?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is gone, what replaces it?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:54:00 +0100

> On 13 Aug 2017, at 13:43, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to update the GNUstep ports on FreeBSD, but Preferences.app now
> doesn’t build because the new version of GNUstep-Make now errors for any
> Makefile that references GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT.  The documentation doesn’t tell
> me anything useful for migration.

Possibly you are  not seeing anything about migration because
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT was deprecated (and gnustep-make printed warnings about it)
over a decade ago ... so any stuff about migration would be in the distant past.
Basically, when FHS support was added we started, having variables for where
different types of resource are installed, rather than installing everything
under one 'root', so  the notion of a GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT no longer made any
sense.

To  avoid having to read the documentation you can get by with a quick summary
of the names of locations for the different domains (look  in GNUstep.conf or
use 'gnustep-config  --help').

I would guess you probably want GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_LIBRARY (and to install bundles
in the Bundles subdirectory of that location).