Re: Incremental linking

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Incremental linking
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 18:18:25 +0200

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 11:06 +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For various reasons, I have been reading the binutils ld
> documentation
> and there is a note that -Ur is needed instead of -r for incremental
> linking of C++ programs that contain constructors.  I suspect that
> this
> is just badly written documentation - can someone try patching -make
> use -Ur instead of -r and see if Additions links correctly with BFD
> ld?
>
> David

I did give it a quick try by recompiling the Additions library with
messages=yes to see the commands being executed by make and then
reexecuted the link command with -Wl,-Ur instead of -Wl,-r.
Unfortunately, that doesn't help for me (Ubuntu 18.04 with clang-9 and
bfd). Programs still segfault. :-(

Wolfgang