Re: NSControls failing to set status/label on BigEndian/64bit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NSControls failing to set status/label on BigEndian/64bit
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 14:33:42 +0100

Hi all,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
Yes. Changing the type you pass to the {en,de}codeValueOfObjCType methods is a,
errm, not so bright idea. The types are included in the binary archives. So,
trying to decode a value with a different type will give you an error (for your
own safety and sanity). Trying to encode values with a different type is even
worse, as you would be creating archives that cannot be read by anybody else
(because they are expecting some other type). If you (have to) make such
changes, be sure to introduce a new archive version and be sure to include
backward compatibility code for reading the old archive format.

I had a call with Gregory yesterday.. since this is a delciate subject I made a branch with a proposed initial change (as I have other controls failing, it will not be the conly class affected either)

BE-64-Fixes

What do you think?

A question: what is the current version? I used 3 as versino.. just because I found that one when decoding Gorms and debugging.
Where is it to be increased?

Riccardo

PS:any clues on why NSPopUpMenus don't show their items, but retain Item1 Item2, Item3? I had a look if there were similar type issues, but didn't find any, the decoding is a little different. I wonder which roperty could be: a tag, a connector missing...

Riccardo

- I try to keep compatibility with old versions