Re: strnstr errors in tests while on NetBSD

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: strnstr errors in tests while on NetBSD
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 12:59:33 +0100

Hi Richard,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I don't know how that could fail 'many tests', because the only place in the
> entire sourcecode that uses strnstr is the GSMime tests.
> For that file, I simply changed the local function name to avoid conflict
> with the BSD function.

ineed there are sure other errors, still it helped some. I proposed
hiding and using the system version on NetBSD, but both solutions work.

The situation on NetBSD/amd64/libobj2 s now:

7767 Passed tests
  46 Failed files
  32 Dashed hopes
   8 Failed tests

The situation on NetBSD/sparc64/gcc is now:

9398 Passed tests
  54 Failed tests
  46 Dashed hopes
  14 Skipped sets

The numbers are quite different.... On amd64 i see this:

Passed test:     NSZone.m:32 ... NSZoneFree() calloc'd buffer
Throwing 0x6f81c0c16298, in flight exception: 0x0
Exception caught by C++: 0
./obj/NSZone: Uncaught exception NSMallocException, reason: Attempt to
free freed memory
Failed file:     NSZone.m aborted without running all tests!

it is repeated in different tests, like this:
Passed test:     create.m:26 ... +array creates an empty array
Throwing 0x78e4ea2142c8, in flight exception: 0x0
Exception caught by C++: 0
./obj/create: Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason:
Tried to init array with nil object
Failed file:     create.m aborted without running all tests!

I think this is libobjc2's fault?

On NetBSD/sparc64 - gcc 7.5 the same test passes:
Passed test:     general.m:70 ... -subarrayWithRange: seems ok
Passed test:     general.m:72 ... -subarrayWithRange with invalid range

I will dig out an Intel NetBSD machine with GCC to make the baseline
tests and see the errors left and compare Intel to SPARC64, best to
solve the eventually OS dependent bugs before digging into CPU issues. I
think libobjc2 has issues with C++ exceptions

Riccardo