Re: GNUstep on Windows using Clang + MSVC ABI

From: Frederik Seiffert
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Windows using Clang + MSVC ABI
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:53:55 +0100

Hi David,

Am 02.02.2021 um 12:29 schrieb David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:

lld-link: error: relocation against symbol in discarded section: __start_.objcrt$SEL
>>> referenced by C:\msys64\tmp\conftest-78a937.o:(.objc_init)
This is reproducible when building a file that calls ObjC runtime functions but doesn’t actually contain any ObjC code. Not sure if that’s expected behavior or bug.

I think this is a bug, probably a clang bug (and probably my fault)
Should I open an LLVM issue for this?

Yes please.  There was an identical bug on ELF platforms, I may have failed to fix it for Windows.

Here you go, please let me know if you need any other info:

Awesome work, and it makes me much happier than trying to support MinGW.
Thank you, glad you like it! This is also exciting to us because it should e.g. allow us to use recent Windows technologies like the C++/WinRT language projection from ObjC++ which are not compatible with MinGW.
That being said, I would still very much like to get libobjc2 working with MinGW as well, as it would allow people currently using GNUstep with GCC in a MinGW environment to switch to Clang/libobjc2, should result in a more streamlined setup experience with all dependencies being available via MinGW packages and everything being built in one shell, and allow for existing MinGW-based software to be used.
I’ll try to get you those instructions for building LLVM with the MinGW patches in the next couple weeks.

I'll try to find some time to work on it.

I’ve finally found steps to reproduce the issues with MinGW using a "normal" (non-MinGW) LLDB build using a CMake toolchain file:
https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/pull/190#issuecomment-792676170

Hopefully that will be sufficient to look into these at some point.

Thanks!
Frederik