Re: Newer features in Objective C

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Newer features in Objective C
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:52:52 -0500

Richard,

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 09:57 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

GNU Objective C supports the features that Objective C had in 1989.
It would be nice to add the newer Objective C features.
Is anyone interested in doing that?
Please write to me personally if you sare intested in working on this.

I, personally, have the knowledge, but not the time.  I think that is the situation with a number of us, but I certainly don’t speak for us all.  We had hoped that someone in the existing GCC community might be willing to take this on if it’s to be done on a volunteer basis.

It’s my belief that this is a pretty large effort.  It will likely be multiple weeks or months of effort for one person to do as it involves adding a number of missing features.  In your email you say that GCC supports the features from 1989… that’s true but there are also SOME 2.0 features that have been implemented but it is not complete so we have, in effect, Objective C 1.5. :)

I am wondering if it might be necessary for the FSF to hire someone to do this outside of the community (or within if that’s an option).

I am not sure what the way forward on this is at this point.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron