gnustep-webmasters

CSS problem with page on www.gnustep.org.

From: Robert Slover
Subject: CSS problem with page on www.gnustep.org.
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:11:13 -0500

The following page on www.gnustep.org doesn't format correctly in any browser I use, but this seems to be the fault of the CSS for the page.

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/resources.html

Specifically, several of the references are defined in definition lists, and there is a style that designates that anchors inside a definition term (<dt>) tag are floated left. Since floats are not inside the flow of text, this means that the text preceding and following the anchors flow around it. In Firefox, this results in the preceding and following text being concatenated and the text of the anchor appearing below it. In Safari, the preceding and following text are concatenated and placed to the right of the text of the anchor on the same line. Both look really goofy:

TIFF image

or

TIFF image

By my reading of the CSS spec, both of these renderings are correct.

I suspect that elsewhere on the GNUstep site, this is done purposefully, and that what is seen here is an unintended side effect. Figured I'd write to y'all and point it out.

Best regards,

--Robert