gnustep-webmasters

Re: Wiki (possibly) Trashed

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: Wiki (possibly) Trashed
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:21:40 +1000

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 11:45 +0200, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:58:05 +1000 Christopher Armstrong <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>  >| I've posted stuff to the wiki in the past and I regularly check the wiki
> for new pages. It appears some kind of bot has gone through the site, adding
> spam links, then removing them with all the contents of the page gone as
> well.
>  >|
>  >| Checking the logs shows that it happened over a period of about 2 hours,
> with a couple of hundred changes noted.
>  >|
>  >| The main page and a number of other important pages are affected i.e.
> they're now blank. I'm writing this on the assumption that these changes
> weren't intentional. I'm not sure if I should go through and restore them, or
> leave it to a webmaster who probably knows what they're doing.
>
> I can restore database backup from the day before change. Should I ?

It may end up being easier to just to revert the pages that were
affected. Although I noted quite a number of changes, they appeared to
be the spammer adding links, then removing them, along with the contents
of the page. Sometimes they progressively wiped the pages content. I
don't know why they did this. Otherwise, I don't know what the correct
course of action is.

I think it would be important from now to start considering locking
membership in such a way that a robot cannot sign up. It might also be
worth considering locking down some pages to moderators only (like the
main page or index pages). There is post expressing this concern in
gnu.gnustep.discuss.

--
Christopher Armstrong <address@hidden>