gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] Re: gomd ?

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: [gomd-devel] Re: gomd ?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:54:27 +0200

Hi Guillaume,

On Mittwoch 21 Mai 2003 23:20, you wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> > You are welcome e.g. at the gomd-project.
> > (http://www.nongnu.org/gomd/)
> > It just announced it first alpha release a few day ago and there is a
> > lot to do for you if you are interested (mostly c/c++ stuff).
> > Anyways any contributions is welcome so if you have your own ideas
> > about e.g. new wanted-features, new administration + monitiring
> > tools, bugfixes .etc feel free to start coding.
>
> I've been reading about gomd and getting more familiar with oM, but there's
> something I fail to understand in gomd. I see the need for it, but I don't
> understand why a separate project/daemon is necessary. oM already passes a
> truckload of information between the nodes. Isn't it possible to add the
> few missing ones, like remote setspeed, to the current set of controls ?

the answer is that we want to keep as much as possible in userspace which is
much more easier to debug, enhance and manage.
Also the main issue about the gomd project is to provide an easy to use
library (the libgomd) which a developer can use (just include the header and
link against it). This libgomd will have methods for getting
(and setting ) values from the running gomd(s) on your cluster.
You will be able to create your own administration or monitoring GUI
by using those libgomd methods easy.
The methods will take care of connecting to the gomd-daemon and
returning the requested values. You will just need to connect your widgets ;)
(you will be able to use such a GUI also from a non-openMosix node)
That is the current plan. We are still in alpha phase so any
help/feedback/criticism is more than welcome.

happy clustering,

Matt
... and as mentioned feel free to join us. We are all doing this for fun.
--
E-mail  :  address@hidden
www     : http://www.openmosixview.com

"keyboard not found!  Press F1 to continue."