gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] <GOMD> preliminar gomd autodiscovery -> works!

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] <GOMD> preliminar gomd autodiscovery -> works!
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:47:39 +0200

Hi Matt.

> Ciao JP,
>
> On Donnerstag 31 Juli 2003 23:06, Gian Paolo Ghilardi wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Here we go.
> > Preliminar gomd autodiscovery system _do_ work!
>
> :)
:)))

> > See new gomdSearcher class (file gomdSearcher.h/gomdSearcher.cpp).
> >
> > CVS code was updated.
> >
> > Now when you execute gomd,you'll see it searching for other gomd daemons
on
> > "local" subnet (something like a ping).
> > It will search daemon listening on port 9889 (gomd std port).
>
> will it contact all nodes from the local subnet or just the nodes from
> the nodelist ?
At this moment, the answer is: yes ;)

> > 1)Obviously this search does _not_ interfere with the main app (try
> > contacting the daemon with telnet). :)
> > 2)Obviously the daemon will find itself (it will start and close the
conn
> > to itself) -> this is a proof of concept/force! ;)
> > 3)Obviously now the daemon _actually_ doesn't save/use the list of known
> > remote gomds ;)
> >
> > Next step will be
> > - using this new infos
>
> yep
>
> > - providing a minimal cache for known gomds
> > - implement something like a "zone transfer" (used by DNSes) from a gomd
> > daemon to another one (to minimize network overhead).
>
> cool features .... but do we really need this if we just use the nodelist
> as the "list of known gomds" ?  (maybe i am missing something)

The idea is this: first time you use the autodiscovery feature to get the
list of known gomds (that will be saved in a file ).
Then gomd will use the file with known gomds.
Obviously you'll be able to start manually the search.

> > I need a lot of betatesting.
> > Please help me! :)
>
> ;) ok, will try to test it tomorrow (out today)
> Many thanks JP!

Thanks to you, Matt!

CU.

<rejected>