gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] Re: <CW_TOOLS> new release (with oMFS checks)

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: [gomd-devel] Re: <CW_TOOLS> new release (with oMFS checks)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:51:07 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Rechenburg" <address@hidden>
<address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: <CW_TOOLS> new release (with oMFS checks)

> Ciao JP,
>
> On Sonntag 24 August 2003 11:03, Gian Paolo Ghilardi wrote:
> > Hi Matt.
> >
> > "cw_tools" now have two new functions to check if oMFS is configured and
> > started before doing any operation on files/directories.
> >
> > Checkout the new cw_tools release... :)
> > I need comments/criticisms/hints...
>
> ok, reviewed them. here are my comments ;)
>
> in isOMFSConfigured i would prefer to grep in /proc/filesystems to
> check if oMFS is configured/supported by the kernel instead of the fstab.
> The user might have mounted it manually by some other script.
Ok.

My idea was different (you directly search for oMfs support; I search for
oMfs indirectly).

My implementation:
- search for oMFS mount point from /etc/fstab
- if found, check if the entry is mounted
- if the oMfs fs is mounted, try reading from it
Obviously if there is no /oMFS mount point configured => oMFS is not enabled
or not started!
Please remember that an oMFS fs could be mounted but openMosix could be
disabled (so you get an empty directory).

> Also grep for mfs in df -h. Better as to grep for the mount-point
> from the fstab e.g. If "df -h | grep mfs" is successfull then you can awk
> the mount-point from it.
No: as df doesn't return the type of fs (i.e. mfs), if an user mounts the
oMFS filesystem in /OMFS (for example), the grep cmd will fail.

> in isOMFSEnabled i would prefer to check if oMFS is mounted and
> if not just create a temporary mount e.g. /tmp/mfs, mount oMFS on it,
> install the gomd and then umount it again.
Ok. So we need two new scripts (something like cw_make_temp_omfs and
cw_del_temp_omfs).

> The user might not want to use oMFS but we can use it for the
> cluster-wide installation.

Cool! ;)

> ... just my mind.
Great mind! ;)