gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] <IRC> interesting IRC chat session about gomd...

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] <IRC> interesting IRC chat session about gomd...
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:21:05 +0200

Hi from Matt :)

read the mails+irc-log about auth + checkpointing and
here are my comments.

about the auth:
I prefer the auth.conf for gomd for now
(later we can see if we improve this)
The feature should combine acl.conf + scx.conf

about the checkpointing:
It is a vey good idea to add this feature to the gomd :) !
The users will love it.
I just think that automatically checkpointing the processes
which needs most of the cpu will not work so well.

Here are my thoughts about the chpox-support :

1) we need a register, unregister and list-register processes
   register should automatically check the binary program
   with ldd to find out which libraries needs to be added
   to chpox before. -> even if it is a script to register it
   needs some libs for e.g. bash

2) unregister should unregister the process but not the libs
   because they may be needed by other registered processes

3) the registration will use a dump-file with the process + pid
   name to be sure to have unique names for the process dumps

4) if there are registered processes for checkpointing the gomd
   should send the checkpoint signal to them in an intervall
   (timeout can be static first, maybe later it would be nice if one
   can configure it per process)

5) if a process is checkpointed the gomd should/must move its
   dump file to a diffrent name containing a timestamp.
   Otherwise the next checkpoint will overwrite the current dump file
   even if the registered process is crashed but still alive. This will
   make it "un-restorable"   -> so we need timestamps for each
   checkpointed process-dump to be able to restore it at any given
   time (any given time a checkpoint was written).
   We have to take care of the disk-usage with this feature because
   it may create a lot of dumps which are not removed yet.

6) we have to think about how and when to remove process dumps

7) we should add a check if the chpox module is available, if not
   those register/unregister/checkpoint commands should be disabled
   or display a notice that the user have to install chpox first.
   This can be simply done by the gomd init script (insmoding chpox mod
   and check if it returns ok) and then start the gomd with an additional
   commandline parameter ....... just an idea.

If we have all this together the user can simple add checkpointing HA
to his/her processes.

.... as usual just Matt's mind  ;))

stay tuned,

Matt