gomd-devel

[gomd-devel] <DAEMON> Next step: chpox support

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: [gomd-devel] <DAEMON> Next step: chpox support
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:28:57 +0100

Hi all.

My box is fully operational and I'd like to start coding the chpox support.
Unfortunately I've some problems installing the chpox stuff but I thinks
this prob is due to my recent compiler upgrade (kernel was built with gcc
3.2.3 while now I'm using the 3.3.1 version => I'll recompile all the
stuff).

These are some points we have to discuss:
1)IMHO, we should contact the chpox authors to start a fruitful cooperation.
   I think this is an important point as they can help us a lot.
2)I'd like to automatize all the possible stuff.
3)My idea is simple:
- by default all migrated apps are chpointed.
- users can define the chpoint interval/rate
- users can choose what need chpointing (i.e. "all "amber" apps, all heavy
procs,...").
  The optimum, IMHO, is to provide a "natural" (and coherent with the rest
of the code) way to do this stuff
  I.e we can reach this via simple MACROS like: CHPOX_HEAVY_PROCS,
CHPOX_DEFAULT_BEHAVIOUR, CHPOX_TIME_INTERVAL, ...
- obviously this stuff will be excuted in separate threads: a main
chpox_support thread (that handles client requests and default settings) +
several worker threads (one for each chpointing/restoring activity).
   As chpox is marked as "thread-safe" this should be quickly implemented.
4)Libgomd will feature new simple functions to activate _directly_ the
chpointing/restoring stuff.

This is only a preliminar draft for implementing chpox.
As this can be the "killer-feature" for gomd this stuff is very important.

Any idea/hint/criticism is welcome (as usual). ;)

Byez.

<rejected>