gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:31:32 +0200

Hi Johnny.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny Cache" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 7:28 AM
Subject: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin

> Hey guys,
> So 3dmosmon now runs on OSX and the code has been greatly cleaned up. I
> even made a few diagrams showing the memory layout after i had sorted it
> al lout again (had to document it before i forgot! kinda makes me wish
> java was faster so i didnt have to keep such careful track). Aynway im
> hoping to get my hands dirty with cvs tomorrrow. Before i start i was
> going to ask you guys if there was anything i could do from the beginning
> to make my job easier.
I use Cervisia, a nice and easy-to-use CVS frontend.
I think it's available also on MacOSX (but there are other native apps doing
the same thing on MacOSX).

The one thing that springs to my mind is should i
> move my 3dmosmon development inside of my local gomd tree under a contrib
> dir? Does this matter at all?
Uhm... I think 3dmosmon can be included in gomdview directory.
But if you prefer, feel free to create a new dir in contrib.
Matt: any idea/suggestion?

> Question number two. How do -you- think i should distribute 3dmosmon on
> linux? One of the big reasons i switched to OSX (aside from being a sucker
> for eye candy, but you probably knew that..) is it lets me package
> software in a single unified format. I went absolutely crazy trying to
> figure out the best way to get 3dmosmon running on a variety of platforms
> last time and i think i failed pretty miserably. I have no desire to
> create rpms,debs,and ebuilds so im hoping if it gets popuilar volunteers
> will step forward for there favorite distribution. I also hate autotools,
> but i would use them if someone would show me how to apply them to this
> project sanely. I guess this boils down to

Uhm... I think we'll find somebody for the packaging task so... keep up on
coding. Hihihi... :)))

> should i use autotools or normal makefiles and handle it by hand like
> gomd?
As the primary platform for 3dmosmon is GNU/Linux, I think you can use plain
Makefiles.
IMHO, autotools are useful if you have lots of dependencies.

> should i distribute the ogre library as a .so included in the project
> or make people download and compile it themselves? (its rather large)
> Previously i attempted to package the library with 3dmosmon itself, but im
> not sure that was a good idea. would -You- be willing to download and
> compile a large graphics engine yourself just to run 3dmosmon? Its about a
> 30 min compile on an averge box, maybe less.

Uhm... I prefer not to include OGRE is GOMS CVS.
First: it's an external project
Second: OGRE is not a small project
Third: you would have to maintain OGRE versions in the GOMD CVS (not an easy
task)

So, as previously done with libgtop, OGRE is an _external_ dependency for
3dmosmon: people must download OGRE and install it before compiling
3dmosmon.
But this is my opinion... :)))

CU.

<rejected>