gpsd-users

Re: Can't preserve the raw AIS message

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Can't preserve the raw AIS message
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 09:40:37 -0700

Yo Owen!

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 14:20:26 +0100
Owen Mather <opm24@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I’m processing an AIS feed using Gpsd but I’m having trouble
> preserving the raw data passed in.

OK.

> I have an AIS messages as follows
> \s:A01-SC084,c:1500862415,t:LIVE*59\!AIVDM,1,1,,A,38;?cf10008aPTl8G3:P090L0P00,0*2F

That does not look valid to me.

> Using gpspipe I can correctly decode the message:
> !AIVDM,1,1,,A,38;?cf10008aPTl8G3:P090L0P00,0*2F

Can you provide more details?  What version of gpsd?  What command line
for your gpsd?

> But I want to preserve the data before the message:
> \s:A01-SC084,c:1500862415,t:LIVE*59\

I'm unclear what you mean by "preserve".

> When I run gpspipe -R which is meant to show the raw data, it only
> shows the AIVDM messages and not the actual raw message that was sent
> to gpsd.

That would be a bug.  Can you provide a sample of what you see?

> Is there anyway to access the raw message alongside the decoded
> version?

I don't know any way to easily get raw, and decoded, data from gpsd
right now.  People want the one or the other.  Might not be hard to add.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588