gpsd-users

Re: ublox note

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ublox note
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:31:23 -0800

Yo Charles!

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 19:11:49 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I am testing debian Bullseye, which means gpsd 3.22-1. I hit a problem
> with my ublox receiver I have not seen before.

Pretty close to gpsd 3.22.

> driver u-blox: subtype (if any) SW ROM CORE 3.01 (107888),HW
> 00080000FWVER=SPG 3.01,PROTVER=18.00,GPS;GLO;GAL;BDS,SBAS;IMES;QZSS

So likely a u-blox 8.  You can find out more this way:

    ubxtool -p MON-VER

> The new problem is that the device may come up shipping NMEA, and
> probably broken NMEA.

Yup.  Which is why the ubxtool examples doc says to always force your
u-blox to factory defaults first:

    https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_default_configuration

Remember, broken is in the eyes of the beholder.

> The solution is to tell it to use the binary
> protocol:

Yes, my preferred solution, but by no means the only one.

> # ubxtool -e BINARY
>
> # ubxtool -d NMEA
>
> ubxtool is a nice tool, thank you.

Glad you like it.  Suggestions welcome.

> As for the "probably broken NMEA", status always is "STATUS_NO_FIX",
> or 0, even when other indicators show I should have a fix, like mode
> set to "MODE_3D".

Sadly, that is not in conflict with the NMEA spec.  The "status" and the
"mode" are two different, and independent, fields that one NMEA sentence
may have at the same time.

Just to be sure that there is not something else going on, sending
the NMEA you get here would help me verify what you should see.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588