gpsd-users

Re: xgps not returning data

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: xgps not returning data
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 17:15:01 -0800

Yo G2!

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:31:09 -0800
G2 <g2subspstlc@gmail.com> wrote:

> gpsd ver:  3.2.0
> xgps ver:  3.2.0
> PyGObject ver: 3.38.0
> OS: Parrot GNU/Linux 4.10 Linux 5.9.0-2parrot1-amd64

There never was any gpsd 3.2.0.  gpsd 3.22 is current.  gpsd 3.2 is
from 2011.  We can't help much with 10 year old software.

> i have a Stratux Vk-162 UBS GPS connected to a Parrot Security OS VM.

Stratux does not make the Vk-162.  Stratux can use the Vk-162.

Te Vk162 is a u-blox 7 with a USB/Serial chip.  Pretty old, not so
good by modern standards.

> gpsmon  and  cgps  work  fine and display's data. when i execute xgps
> the app runs but no data is aquired/returned.

I know nothing of Parrot OS.  You must have a X problem.

> suggestions on getting xgps to work?

First, tell us how you are running gpsd.
Then how you are running xgps.
Are you running xgps on the same host as gpsd?
Are you running xgps as the same user as gpsd?
Does xgps give any messages on the command line?
Does it display the skyview?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588