gpsd-users

Re: Strange troubles with emulation

From: Владимир Калачихин
Subject: Re: Strange troubles with emulation
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 18:43:00 +0300

30.01.2021 01:36, Gary E. Miller пишет:

A recevier reporting Dead Reckoning would fail.  If taht case came up,
that would then need a special case on the special care.  That is how
driver_nmea0183 became little but special cases.

But why not just ignore bad sentences?

Easier to fix your GGA, set sats used to 4.  One line of sed could
do that.

Should it be understood that gpsd ignore checksum?

Nope, you would have to also fix the checksum.  But that is easy.

Heh. The gpsbabel sets count of satellites on GGA sentence to 00 string in principle: https://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_nmea.html
I do not know why this is so.

I updated my log player to add a number of satellites to the GGA sentence on the fly. With recalculate checksum, of course.
Well, logs, created by gpsbabel, played smoothly.
But I confused:
This https://gpsd.io/NMEA.html#_gga_global_positioning_system_fix_data approved that number of satellites are a string of two digits. I write one digit by mistake -- and gpsd accept this.

I think this is correct, but perhaps you will think otherwise.