gpsd-users

Re: gpsd tcp feed option resilience

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: gpsd tcp feed option resilience
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 14:28:28 -0400

Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> writes:

> We've just started using the DEVICE tcp:// feed option, however it
> doesn't seem all that reliable.
>
> If I stop the feed then gpsd seems to drop the device from it's list.
>
> I think it would be better if this option could be made more resilient
> and reliable possibly with reconnect attempts if that's necessary to
> reestablish the connection.

Woudl be good to turn on debugging and have logs showing what hapepns.

Even better for you to prepare a patch to retry the open (with sane
backoff, but maybe just 60s delay from last start of connect attempt).
It might not be that hard.

It might also be that it is supposed to work and you are hving some
other issue.