gpsd-users

Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:01:18 -0800

Yo Don!

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:29:41 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> ADAFruit ultimate USB GpS:
>
> - https://www.adafruit.com/product/4279

My condolences.  Depending on the exact model, you may have a really
old MTK3339, or an old MTK3333.

You can do a lot better, for cheaper.

> Yes.  If I have this set up with a large RF shield, this obtains a
> fix in seconds.

What is a "large RF sheild"?  TTFF is entirely dependent on the 4 items
I alread described.  RF changes can only degrade things.

>  However, I need a form factor similar to a
> Raspberry PI Zero

Easy.  There are many good options.

> AND I have to shield the GPS unit from the
> Raspberry PI RF fields.

Uh, why?  GPS signals are cirularly polarized, so interference from
other sources is rare.

> This reduces the gain of the patch antenna
> and thus reduces S/N ratios and increases fix time.

Yeah, so don't do that.

> I am competing with a SiRF chip set, so minutes is not a major
> problem.

Since SiRF got bought out, you can ignore them going forward.

> OK, I can:
>
> - disable gpsd
>
> - cat /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> and I should see the native GPS stream.