gpsd-users

Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: Recommendation for GPS dongle
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:05:42 -0800

It doesn't need to be using a 3rd party converter. You're right to say
that it has no "speed" because it's an ACM device; by the same logic
if you're using some terrible software that demands you enter a speed,
plug in "115200" and be on your merry way. I just plugged in a ublox7
and minicom produces the exact same output at 115200 or 9600. GPSD
does too.

Maybe they figure that trying to transport PPS over a shared, polled,
variably loaded bus like USB is bogus and if you're doing that you
don't actually care about timing precision? Alas, my one contact at
u-blox no longer works there otherwise I'd ask them why. I see you've
also attempted to inquire on the forums...