gpsd-users

Re: Masterclock GMR-1000 with gpsd?

From: Preston L. Bannister
Subject: Re: Masterclock GMR-1000 with gpsd?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 23:59:35 -0700

Thanks for the reply. Got a little further. And "Yes", I read the manpage, a good deal of the site. grabbed the sources, and scanned the mailing list - before posting here. (Also got a reply from the maker's "support" email - which was not helpful.)

In the first pass, only saw NMEA output on the serial port (not USB or UDP). Was using a USB-to-serial (DB9) cable with the wrong gender on the DB9 end - so rigged in a female-female coupler. Was good enough to get NMEA output, before it fell apart. USB-to-serial cable of the proper gender arrived tonight - so will try again on Tuesday.

This device is old and quirky, takes a bit to figure out what works. :/

Seems the device also responds to SNMP ... kinda. (Serial looks like the best bet.)

Again, not expecting an easy answer, but have to ask. :)

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 4:17 AM Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

"Preston L. Bannister" <preston@bannister.us> writes:

> The device offers options to output NMEA to an Ethernet endpoint
> (address:port) - presumably via UDP. There are also options for USB and
> serial. No luck on any yet - at least in the first pass.

If you can get NMEA and feed it to gpsd, that should work.

gpsd, as documented in the man page (am assuming you read that before
asking ;-) can listen on a UDP port.  It can also get data from serial
ports, and when you say "USB" presumably that is serial over USB, which
the OS turns into a device that acts like a serial port.

Also, be sure to have gpsd 3.24 (latest formal release) or the tip of
master from git; questions about older versions here will be rejected
with advice to upgrade.