gpsd-users

Re: GPSD over network not working correctly

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD over network not working correctly
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:16:32 -0800

Yo Gustav!

On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 20:13:58 +0200
Gustav Vierbergen <gustav4bergen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I require some assistance.

An essential human condition.

> I am trying to get GPS over the network. I have two devices, one with
> a gps connected and one without. They are both connected via an
> ethernet switch.

Common.

> Initially the system with GPS ran gpsd 3.20 and the other system ran
> gpsd 3.17 but cgps wasn't able to retrieve the speed, it just stated
> n/a but gpsmon worked correctly.

Mixing gpsd versions is never supported.

3.17 is 5 years old, and no longer supported.

3.17 is 3 years old, and no longer supported.

gpsmon is an unmaintained developer tool, do not use it, use cpgs, xgps, etc.

> I have a program which attempts to
> get gps values like speed, lat, long etc. but it was unable to get
> speed.

We can't debug code we can't see.

> When running the program on the device with GPS it works perfectly,
> but when running on the device without GPS all the data seems wrong.

Without explaining exactly what you did (command line, versions,
layouts, etc.) we can't really help.  The devil is in the details.

> I have attached below all the important config files as well as my
> program and all my system details

gpsd does not use config files.  Can't help you with systemd.

> My program is attached below. Any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated. The same program is run on both systems some lines are
> just commented

That program makes many common mistakes that are explained here:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-client-example-code.html

I suggest you throw away your code and start over with example1.c

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588