grep-devel

Re: release process analysis

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: release process analysis
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 17:42:20 -0500

On 9/29/20 5:32 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:
Jeffrey Walton wrote:
I think the next improvement to the release process should engineer
around human behavior. Here, the human behavior is, most folks avoid
pre-release testing, and then jump right to the release.
It has been my experience that once you perform the minor version
release, like Grep 3.5.1, that's it, you're done.

Indeed. Thanks for stating it so clearly.

I so much strive for a perfect release, that I often forget about the
"relese early, release often" principle [1].

Bruno

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

Just don't call those releases 'stable'. Many users want to use the latest stable release, but don't want to be beta testers.

  -- Bruce