grep-devel

Re: grep-3.10.12-0f2c test results

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: grep-3.10.12-0f2c test results
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 17:58:41 -0700

On 4/21/23 16:37, Bruno Haible wrote:
I don't understand this test result: On Manjaro 17 and AIX 7.2
   it reports PASS. What is going on here? How can the 'grep' program work with
   a file that has a timestamp > 2038, when the time_t type is only 32-bit??
   For analysis, I attach the two log files of this test.

In 32-bit AIX 7.2, fstat delivers the low-order 32 bits of the file's timestamp, instead of failing with errno == EOVERFLOW as it should. Since 'grep' doesn't use the timestamp it goes ahead and does the right thing.

Perhaps Manjaro 17 (2017) does something similar. As I understand things, though, it uses the Linux 4.9 kernel, which was supported only through January of this year. Since Manjaro 17 was the last Manjaro release to support 32-bit architectures I suggest not worrying about it as a 32-bit porting target.

PS. Wikipedia says AIX 7.1 support ends April 30, so it looks like we can stop worrying about AIX 7.1 soon. AIX 7.2 and 7.3 are still going strong, though.