Re: * RL * code review and strategy for macros set?

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: Re: * RL * code review and strategy for macros set?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:57:45 +0200

hello Mike,

> I strongly recommend you pick one macro set, read and become fluent in the
> the concepts in the command macros manual for that set and use the built-in
> tuning features to make them look the way you want.

definitely mm. and a first exercice would be the french translation of
it.

> person to want it "just like that, but different" and you will find that the
> macros sets are built with fine-tuning in mind.

ok. that's what i should have asked from the very begining and using
this word: fine- tuning. thank you for your patience while reading my
broken english.

>        export GROFF_TMAC_PATH=${HOME}/lib/tmac
>        groff  -Kutf8  -GtpeR  -U  -rW6.5i  -mm  -mFm  ...files...

> where  Fm  refers to the "Foveal macros" that tune the  mm  macros.  They are
> found in  ${HOME}/lib/tmac/Fm.tmac .

oooohh ... so you overwrite some mm defaults that way. cool. what i had
in mind was a bit different: having a ock.tmac that starts with
something like `mso mm`.

> I advise _against_ modifying the standard *.tmac files, especially with the
> sets like  me ,  ms  and  mm .  They rarely change, but when they do you loose
> the benefit of the fixes.

ok. fine tuning over modifying.

thanks to everyone! i have a clear roadmap now thanks to Piotr, Robert
and you.

regar.ds
marc