Does man7.org require customizations to groff?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Does man7.org require customizations to groff?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:17:39 +1000

Hi Michael,

I've noticed that recently man7.org no longer seems to be hosting stock
versions of groff project man pages[1]; instead, it appears that some
kind of local changes are being applied and the pages regenerated.
Perhaps the changes are not to page text per se, but to a macro package.

This isn't a _problem_ (groff is free as in freedom!), but I am curious
about specifics of the changes you're making and wondering if there is
anything groff can be doing upstream to ease things on your side.

Can I help?

Regards,
Branden

[1] e.g., https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/groff_man.7.html and
    scroll to the bottom for the left-hand page footer