Re: All caps .TH page title

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: All caps .TH page title
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 00:58:41 +0200

Hi Ingo,

On 7/23/22 20:37, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
Hi Doug,

G. Branden Robinson wrote on Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 07:48:21AM -0500:
At 2022-07-22T07:36:03-0400, Douglas McIlroy wrote:

Changing the .TH case convention throughout the Unix world is about
as futile an effort as English spelling reform.

I love a challenge.

In addition to that, i'm not convinced it's fair to call an accessibility
effort "futile".

True, but on the one hand I don't mind, and on the other, as indicated
by the start of this thread, Alejandro is seriously considering doing so
for the Linux man-pages project, the corpus of which is large

No guarantee, but i might also consider doing it in OpenBSD base.
That corpus is roughly 85% larger than the Linux man pages project.
Of course, i need to find the time, and it requires that no OpenBSD
developers strongly object, but since it does improve accessibility,
i don't really expect that much opposition.

Would you mind disabling the following warning?:

mandoc: man3type/regex_t.3type:7:5: STYLE: lower case character in document title: TH regex_t

:)

Also, may I make you reconsider allowing one to disable specific warnings? There are a lot of empty UR blocks in the Linux man-pages, and I don't consider that a wrong thing. Also, we use macros in tables, which mandoc(1) doesn't support (yet? never?), but that's not a big issue to the man-pages I maintain. Yet I want to lint the pages with mandoc(1) for other interetsting warnings.

Is that too hard to implement?

Cheers,

Alex

--