Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [BUG] italics run past where they should
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 00:34:22 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2022-08-16T23:36:40+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Okay, so I tried with Debian stable, and groff built from source
> doesn't have a bug there.
>
> To reproduce the bug you need:
>
> - Debian Sid
> - Any pager that does highlighting will do (tried less and batcat).
> - Any terminal emulator will do (tried xfce and xterm).
> - groff built from git HEAD

I find this utterly baffling.  If grotty(1) is producing the correct
escape sequences, then I cannot fathom how this can be a groff bug.

Furthermore, nothing about the way groff produces escape sequences for
graphic renditions has changed since groff 1.22.4.  (I _did_ add the OSC
8 feature, but it's off by default and the man page you're formatting
doesn't use them anyway, particularly not in the synopsis.)

One difference to keep in mind is that Debian's groff is patched to
recognize a "GROFF_SGR" environment variable, and disables SGR output
from grotty(1) by default.  So perhaps you could see if you can
reproduce it in Debian stable using its groff, but with GROFF_SGR=1 in
the environment.

In case it need be said, something I'm looking forward to as
co-maintainer of groff for Debian, if that eventuates and I don't
horrify Colin too badly in the meantime, is a serious reconsideration of
that patch.

Regards,
Branden