Re: Warn about long lines

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Warn about long lines
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:17:51 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

> I fear that I might be making one of those structure definitions go
> past the right margin, and there are so many, that it's not funny
> rendering all of them to check

No, it's clearly a job for a machine.

> $ cat longline.man
> .TH a b c d
> .SH foo
> .nf
> this is a very long line that will go past the 80-col right margin, and
> I want to be warned about it.

That's two lines, and it didn't overrun the carriage here.

> .fi
> $
> $ groff -man -ww -z ./longline.man
> $

Isn't that an implicit -Tps?  Do you still want an ‘>80’ warning when
it's not a -Tascii, etc?

Here's modified test input and an alternative way to check.

    $ cat longline.man
    .TH a b c d
    .SH foo
    .nf
    this is a very long line that will go past the 80-col right margin, and \c
    I want to be warned about it.
    .fi
    $ groff -Tutf8 -man -ww longline.man |
    > awk 'length > 80 {print; e = 1} END {exit e}'
           this is a very long line that will go past the 80-col right margin,
and I want to be warned about it.
    $ echo $?
    1
    $