Re: GNU Coding Standards for progname:file:line. (Was: Font path issue)

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: GNU Coding Standards for progname:file:line. (Was: Font path issue)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 00:31:06 +0200

Hi Branden,

On 8/23/22 00:08, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi Alex,

At 2022-08-22T20:18:38+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
Also, I'd keep the space, even if only for being able to use standard
tools like perror(3), or common tools like the <err.h> functions.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment but I don't get what this has to do
with groff?  groff rolls its own diagnostic functions; the closest it
gets to anything like perror() is strerror().

Being compatible doesn't mean you use, but that you can, depending on what happens in the next centuries.

I basically mean that the GNU standards in general (not in the specific case of groff) should make it easy to use standard tools (because why would a standard favor rolling your own stuff? NIH syndrome and yada yada). So if all programs de facto use a space, maybe the GNU standards are modified to use a space, and other programs that don't roll their own, can simply use standard tools.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar