Re: words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferre

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: words (and commands) that I learnt because of Branden (was: preferred /proc/<pid>/xxx style?)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:42:35 +1100

>  Your emails are the reason I know and often use dict(1).  Lol.

Branden's e-mails are the reason I consult the Oxford English dictionary
far more often than I'm comfortable admitting. Either I'm learning obscure
words I know I'll never remember when I need them,[1] <#snarky-footnote-1>
or I'm asking myself *"wait, what does *X* mean, again…?"*, chiefly because
I don't read enough (non-technical) literature. :-(

And even when he *isn't* filling my notes file I use to horde definitions
of fancy-sounding words I probably won't ever use, I'm always admiring how
he manages to balance cheeky humour with informative, expressive writing
that brings the Camel Book's writing style to mind (seriously, when
discussing dry topics like typesetting and Unix orthography, a sense of
humour makes digestion *so* much easier).

Also, "*vituperator*" still reigns as my favourite Brandenism[2]
<#if-you-can-read-this-gmail-forgot-to-sanitise-my-fragment-identifier> to
date.

[1] Or awkwardly pigeonhole them into discussions when I do.
[2] An unintentional extension to a reader's vocabulary, often when you
least expect it.
[3] There's no third footnote, I just wanted to point out how infectious
Branden's writing style is.