Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:00:29 +0000

Hi John,

> > Your emails are the reason I know and often use dict(1).
>
> Branden's e-mails are the reason I consult the Oxford English
> dictionary

Given the open-source bias of this list's readers, I recommend
Wiktionary.  I've used dict(1) for a very long time and OED if I'm
giving a reference for a bug report to fix a British version of English
dictionary, but I typically enter ‘wikt unix’ into the browser and the
‘wikt’ keyword I've created for the site's top-right search box takes me
to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/unix

Wiktionary often gives translations, is multi-lingual, though they quite
rightly put English first :-), and isn't too hard to edit once you've
made one or two changes.  A DICT server for its content keeps being
discussed, but there isn't one last time I checked.

--
Cheers, Ralph.