Re: Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 01:00:19 +1100

> Wiktionary […] isn't too hard to edit once you've made one or two changes.

I know <https://guc.toolforge.org/?by=date&user=Alhadis>, don't worry. ;-)

Wiktionary often gives translations, is multi-lingual, though they quite
> rightly put English first :-), and isn't too hard to edit once you've made
> one or two changes.  A DICT server for its content keeps being discussed,
> but there isn't one last time I checked.

I'd attribute my preference for Oxford to my innate hatred of Yanklish (U.S
English), but in truth, it's really because OED is bundled with macOS's
Dictionary.app (more proprietary crap, yay!), albeit in one of those
undocumented binary formats
<https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/404461/where-are-dictionaries-stored-in-macos/404468#404468>
Apple love using in lieu of open-standards. Probably won't stop me from
writing a parser for it some day, though (then I can worry about using it
on OpenBSD, heh.