Re: Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)

From: Richard Morse
Subject: Re: Online Dictionaries. (Was: words (and commands) that I learnt...)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 12:57:00 -0500

On Dec 10, 2022, at 9:00 AM, John Gardner <gardnerjohng@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd attribute my preference for Oxford to my innate hatred of Yanklish (U.S
> English), but in truth, it's really because OED is bundled with macOS's
> Dictionary.app […]

I apologize for being nit-picky, but the OED is not bundled, the ODE is the one
that is included.

The OED is the historical dictionary, that tracks words through time, and (I
think) lists the meanings of order of introduction, has all the quotes, and
used to come with its own separate set of shelves.

The ODE shows you the most common meanings of words first, and is what people
think of as a dictionary…

Ricky