Re: Small error in install-font from Peter Schaffter

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: Small error in install-font from Peter Schaffter
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:19:55 -0500

Wim --

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022, Wim Stockman wrote:
> Here is the updated script to set the internalname in an interactive way.

I performed some tests altering the internalnames in groff font
files.  First I converted FreeSerif.otf and FreeSerifItalic.otf to
groff fonts using the offical install-font.sh, then did the same
thing with your updated script, answering the prompts for internalname
with FreeSerif-Roman and FreeSerif-Italic.  (The FreeSerif family
is already registered on my system from .deb fonts-freefont-ttf).

As nearly as I can tell--someone please correct me if I'm
wrong--changing internalnames like FreeSerif to FreeSerif-Roman or
FreeSerifItalic to FreeSerif-Italic is only effective when the font
is a registered system font.  What it does is trigger the pdf viewer
(in my case, okular) to use the system font instead of downloading
it (i.e. embedding it in the file).  However if you leave the name
alone, the font gets embedded because the internalname matches the
font as registered in the /devpdf/download file.  In either case,
the output should be the same.

More significantly, fonts that are not registered system fonts fail
when you alter the internal name, so I can't at present see any
advantage to giving users the option.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca