Happy new Sun (was: man-pages-6.02 released)

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Happy new Sun (was: man-pages-6.02 released)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:12:39 +0100

Hi!!

On 12/22/22 20:39, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
Gidday!

I'm proud to announce:

     man-pages-6.02 - manual pages for GNU/Linux

I hope this is really my last release in an unsigned long long time[1]. You can take it as a Christmas present :) Now, I'm officially waiting for groff-1.23 to be released to declare it as a dependency. Deri sent me a present for Christmas, and it would be a much smaller and better present if groff 1.23 was out... just sayin'. :P

My plan going forward (man-pages-6.03), although there's not much of a plan:

- Don't release for 2 years or so, until a few months before the freeze for Debian trixie.

-  Migrate to MR macros after groff-1.23 is in Debian.[2]

- Provide a PDF book of the Linux man-pages (actually, Deri did this; I'll just help polish it).

Cheers,

Alex

[1] The hell won't freeze before the next one, but I hope at least Debian
freezes ;)

[2] We know that the plan of not releasing, so in case I have to release, having sufficient groff in Debian should be enough. Other releases either move faster, so they'll also have it, or they should read the list of dependencies and/or the release notes before upgrading. Something important like the string issue might make me release again with some completely rewritten pages for who-knows-what...

The release tarball is already available on <kernel.org>.

Tarball download:
      <https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages/>
Git repository:
      <https://git.kernel.org/cgit/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/>

The most notable changes in this release are the following:

-  Rewritten pages for string-copying functions.  These now use
    consistent language.  Also added a new string_copying(7) page that
    serves as an overview of all such functions, compares them, and
    details which is appropriate for which uses.

-  Use _Nullable for documenting which functions accept NULL as a
    meaningful value in the function prototypes in the SYNOPSIS.

-  Use VLA syntax for documenting function parameters that are treated
    as arrays.  This uses syntax not accepted by compilers.

-  Rewritten repository documentation (README, CONTRIBUTING, INSTALL, ...).

-  Documentation for new APIs, such as MADV_COLLAPSE in madvise(2).

Thank you all for contributing.

-  There's also a repository change that is not part of this release:  Historic versions of the project going back to man-pages-1.0 have been added to the git repository in a 'prehistory' branch.

Cheers,

Alex

Released: 2022-12-22, Aldaya

[...]