Re: Wanted: your historical me(7) documents (was: [groff] 08/21: [me]: I

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Wanted: your historical me(7) documents (was: [groff] 08/21: [me]: Integrate better with papersize.tmac.)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:19:15 -0600

Snipping most of this message, as it's stuff where either I agree or
no response seems necessary.

On 12/13/22, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Still, as long as the release notes mention the default line-length
>> change, I think we're covered.  It looks like the relevant NEWS item
>> mentions that the default has _not_ changed for terminal output, but
>> doesn't say anything concrete about the typeset default.
>
> No; I think I left that out because I wanted to leave myself some
> freedom.  65cpl looks a little weird to me, especially if there is
> no page offset.

I'm not sure I follow: "65cpl" seems like a terminal measurement, not
a typeset one, and "no page offset" is a property of its terminal
output.  The thing I was saying NEWS should mention is that for -me
users targeting troff, the default line length has changed from (its
long-entrenched historical) 6i to (the arguably saner) 6.5i.