Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 17:50:54 -0600

* On 2022 24 Dec 16:45 -0600, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> writes:
> > At 2022-12-23T12:49:15-0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> I've been curious: how much use do you see of groff outside of man
> >> pages?

About 18 months ago I received some good help on this list for setting
up some envelope templates with simple roff requests.  I further wrote
them for US #10 and #6 3/4 sized envelopes.  I had discovered a long
standing bug in Libre Office that prevents it from printing a #10
envelope and for the organization I am representing I wanted envelopes
more readable than my handwriting (printing).

Once I sorted things out with printer alignment it is a simple matter to
run groffer with the needed file and print the resulting PDF from
evince.  Knowing that groffer will leave my system once 1.23 is released
and it makes its way into Debian Stable, I will pull it out of the Git
history and have it available locally.

I also made a letterhead for the organization as a standalone document
and combine that with various letters I write on behalf of same both in
the MM macro set.  I think it raised the bar as I now receive
correspondence from a related organization that has a letterhead and a
printed body (likely done in MS Word) rather than handwritten.

I borrowed a bit of macro magic from MOM and added a superscript macro
to both of those efforts.  It is most often used with the return
address.

For my blog I started using Hugo (static site generator) with content
written in Markdown but it would be interesting to have a similar setup
with content written in roff.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB