Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus

From: Deri
Subject: Re: man(7), hyphen, and minus
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 00:55:29 +0000

On Saturday, 24 December 2022 01:26:22 GMT Richard Morse wrote:
> > I've been curious: how much use do you see of groff outside of man pages?
>
> I realize I’m just one person, but my use of groff (and Heirloom for using
> useful fonts) is entirely outside of man pages…
>
> Ricky

At the start of 2000s I setup a company to produce client output for financial
institutions. It was all done with groff, but with my own frontend which
produced low level troff code, i.e. not using any macro packages. This proved
to be much faster than any commercial product at the time. It included various
graphs and piecharts (now as macro package busgrap) customised for each
separate client. The financial institution would send csv files and I would
produce both monochrome (for printing, colour was too expensive at the time)
and colour pdfs for loading onto their client portal. (Which led to me writing
gropdf).

I was producing millions of pages quarterly, and rather than selling the
software to the companies (which would have required manuals and a helpdesk),
I sold it as a service, charging a click license based on the number of pages
produced.

Cheers

Deri