Re: UNDERSCORE formatting question for "mom"

From: Steve Ross
Subject: Re: UNDERSCORE formatting question for "mom"
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 01:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

 > Peter will probably have a more elegant (and likely more correct)
> solution, but this may work for you:
>
> Replace the “\&.” with “\h'-\w' 'u'.”.  This worked for me in the one
> experiment that I tried.
>
> --Dale
Dale,

Thank you for pointing me in the direction that you did.  I learned a lot by
parsing your suggestion.

I found that your approach worked for my simple test cases, but then failed for
the real case.  I think the reason is that, in my real case of fully justified
text, the width of single space between words is not constant.  So, for my real
case, I ended up needing two spaces as the argument for "\w'" instead of a
single space.  That two-space change gets my text looking pretty good, so long
as I don't change the words around the underscored words.

Thank you again.

-- Steve Ross