new temporary branch "post-1.23.0" in groff Git

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: new temporary branch "post-1.23.0" in groff Git
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 14:39:32 -0600

Hi folks,

I've created a new branch in groff Git called post-1.23.0.

To avoid repeating a kerfuffle a while back regarding branch management,
let this message serve as notice that it's a _temporary_ branch; after
Bertrand tags groff 1.23.0, I aim to merge everything from this branch
onto master and then delete the branch.  (Alternatively, if a commit on
the branch is regarded as undesirable for master and not worth
retaining, it can be discarded with the branch.)

I'm doing this because it doesn't benefit people for changes to pile up
in my working copy.  This way people can see and comment on them.  We
already have some bug fixes as well as Russian localization.

I otherwise intend to keep the post-1.23.0 branch as robust and healthy
as "master", i.e., not committing any changes that break the build or
the automated tests except as otherwise warned about in commit messages,
to validate regression tests or choreograph structurally complex
changes[1].

I've invited Bertrand to cherry-pick onto master anything from this
branch he considers desirable and non-disruptive for final release.

Other groff developers are welcome to use this branch for the same
purpose, of course.

I'd like to keep "master" quiescent except for "release-critical" fixes
until Bertrand has had a chance to evaluate it for release-worthiness.

Regards,
Branden

[1] such as

commit 8521b464a6b014bee8301a7729707acecc6e9309