Re: [eqn] error: invalid input (character code 159)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [eqn] error: invalid input (character code 159)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 11:26:54 +0000

Hi Alejandro,

> > I haven't studied what you're doing, but are you aware of preconv(1)?
> So, the actual pipeline that I should be using is more like
>
>     preconv | tbl | eqn | troff | grotty

Yes.  The problem with groff(1) existing is it hides information and
stops newcomers learning the basics.  :-)  ā€˜-Vā€™ helps.

    $ groff -Tascii -kpt -V
    preconv | pic | tbl | troff -Tascii | grotty
    $

> and then `... | col | grep` for checking the 80-col limit is respected
> in the output.  Right?

col would need at least -x and -b.  I'd check grotty(1) to see its
options can remove the need for col.

> Do you recommend that I use a fallback-encoding (-D)?  Or should it be
> unnecessary?

If this is within your environment then I'd have thought the testing
framework would mean -D is not needed.

--
Cheers, Ralph.