Re: [platform-testers] groff 1.23.0.rc3 on native Windows

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] groff 1.23.0.rc3 on native Windows
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:36:50 +0100

Hi Branden,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023, 18:50 G. Branden Robinson <
g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> I neglected to reply to your suggestions below.
>
> At 2023-03-06T17:53:55+0100, Bruno Haible wrote:
> > > It (and intptr_t) are "optional", apparently.  What do you suggest?
> >
> > They are optional in theory, but all platforms have them. Just include
> > <stdint.h> (in C, with help from Gnulib's 'stdint' module for some
> > older platforms) or <cstdint> (in C++).
>
> Good enough for me!  I used <stdint.h> because groff's application of
> C++ is 30 years old, and has not yet transitioned to the new inclusion
> style.  (I'd have done so, but I haven't looked up precisely what the
> ramifications of that are, and didn't want to fix something that wasn't
> operationally broken.  Maybe for groff 1.24.)

I'd ask you to not do that.  The <c*> headers don't buy you much, and
instead adds more divergence from C.  BTW, the C++ committee is considering
undeprecating the C headers, since realistically they'll need to be
supported basically forever.

Cheers,
Alex